Tuesday 5 July 2011

What is this blog?


I have succumbed to the self-indulgence of a blog prompted by the number of people asking me:
"Sunny, you're about to be an Empty Nester. How do you feel about that? What are you going to do with yourself?"

As if being a full-time rector of a dynamic Episcopal church, and being actively involved in several groups working on peace and justice issues, and being president of the Episcopal Clergy Association of Pennsylvania, and trying to stay physically, emotionally and spiritually fit are not enough to keep me busy!

But it is true, in a few months, my role as single parent of two amazing children will change radically. One little bird has already flown the coop, changed her name, and is taking her junior year Summer and Fall away from Colgate University, studying in occupied Palestine. The other one heads off to St Olaf in September -- too far away for me to continue providing snacks and loud cheering for his cross country and track teams and other endeavors.

So for the time being I am adding to my prayer time the exercise of writing here my reflections on what comes to mind as I move toward the Empty Nest, looking for signs of God's guidance in the next stage of my life and faith journey. Something always seems to stay with me in the texts for Morning Prayer - sometimes just a one or two sentence something, sometimes a lot more.

I pray that the thoughts given to me may be worth passing on to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment