Tuesday 12 July 2011

Different loves


1 Samuel 18:1-4
Then Jonathan made a covenant with David, because he loved him as his own soul. Jonathan stripped himself of the robe that he was wearing, and gave it to David, and his armor, and even his sword and his bow and his belt.


Was it platonic or romantic love?
Much more has been written about the exact nature of the relationship these two men had: I don't think I can solve that in this blog.

I can only say a love that causes one to be open and vulnerable, to strip away all defenses -- is a wonderful and rare gift for Any two people.

To get caught up on the platonic versus romantic issue may just spoil the whole wonderful thing. I speak from painful experience. I deeply regret getting caught up on that issue and ruining a relationship that brought me more joy than I had known for a very long time. If I had only known to be thankful for what I had, instead of wanting something different that could not be... How ever you read the story of Jonathan and David, you have to be happy on behalf of kindred souls that find one another. Happy, and envious, if you don't have such a relationship yourself.

With the nest emptying, I find myself examining all the other relationships in my life. Obviously, the relationships with my children shift now, not just in proximity and in frequency of interaction. When they leave home there is clearly a change in the amount of time spent on practical day to day parenting. But it has always been my experience that when I have time to fill things appear to fill it, so I'm not really concerned about that.

But what about the emotional space created by their absence?
Who or what will fill that gap?
Perhaps this is the heart of the empty nest challenge.


Gracious God, the source of all love, help me fully appreciate the many kinds of love you bring to our lives.
Forgive me for the loves I have not appreciated for what they were.
Heal me from the hurts of love lost or misused.
Keep me from being lonely when I am no longer in daily contact with the special love you have filled my life with in the joyful gift of my children.
Amen.

10 July Sunday proper 10

No comments:

Post a Comment