Thursday 21 July 2011

Let the wild rumpus begin*


13 July Wednesday Proper10
Mark2:13-22
Jesus said: "The wedding guests cannot fast while the bridegroom is with them, can they?"


For Spring break this year, my son and I went on a trip to Ireland. As a single parent, about to start paying for a second college tuition -- prudence would say I should not be going on such an extravagant vacation. But it was our last big trip together before he goes to college, and he had dreamed of biking around the Aran Islands since he read about Saint Columba in third grade.

There will be time for fasting soon enough. For now, a little feasting while my child is still with me is fitting.

God, sometimes we take ourselves too seriously and forget that you made this world for us to rejoice in it.
Help us, like Jesus, to celebrate and enjoy one another while we can. Amen.



* title taken from Where the Wild Things Are

No comments:

Post a Comment