Friday 8 July 2011

"Now sings my soul"


1 Samuel 16:14-17:11
An evil spirit tormented Saul and he was calmed by David's music.


My special graduation gift for my son was a record player.
I researched and spent a considerable amount of time picking it out, so I'm quite pleased that he likes it.

I went into the room full of stuff I haven't thrown out because I'm sure I'll need it some day, and pulled out my old collection of vinyls. And he has begun to comb yard sales and flea markets for unknown treasures.
I'm introducing him to sounds of my youth, and for the most part we find we share similar taste. I think this isn't usually the case for parents and their teens: that makes me feel blessed.

Playing some of those old records takes me straight back to my freshman dorm in college (The Boss, blasting through the hallways, and Aztec Two-Step, to mellow out with.)
Now, in 2011, he will head off to his freshman dorm with the same music that set the tone for me in 1975.

I certainly hope one would not say I am as tormented as Saul, but I do know that listening to this music played by my son is calming, and bringing a special peace at this transitional time for us both.

God, thank you for the gift of music.
Be with my son as he sings a new song in a foreign land.
And even as my heart is warmed by songs from the past, fill it with the right rhythm for the future.
Amen.


7 July Thursday proper 9

No comments:

Post a Comment