Saturday 9 July 2011

Role Reversal; rocks versus tanks


1 Samuel 17:31-49
The young Israelite David kills the giant Goliath the Philistine


This week once more we see the smaller and weaker march up and confront the stronger, in the form of the non-violent actions of the coalitions trying to break the blockade of Gaza and of the Wall surrounding the occupied Territories. Yes, the story has come full circle, and David is now the Giant, and the philistines are the oppressed.
And this week,the Philistines / Palestinians continue to suffer under occupation.

It is a long story how I came to be an activist defender of the oppressed and realized that it is Israel, and the might of the US, that is the greater oppressor, though neither side is without fault -- as is almost always the case in any conflict. But that conviction led me to take my two teens to live in Beit Sehour, the Shepherd's Fields of Bethlehem, with a Palestinian Christian family, the Summer of 2008.

As I look back on my parenting, that experience is one of the best things I ever did. There is much written of it in another blog, so I won't repeat it here. But with respect to "emptying the nest" it has had a tremendous impact on my daughter, inspiring her to spend last Summer in Jordan and she is currently studying at Birzeit University in Occupied Palestine. Her choices, commitment and thoughtful action over these Summers far exceed what any mother could hope for; I am so proud of her, and she gives me confidence that, at least in the big things that matter most, she can hold her own, outside the nest.

When I think of David and Goliath my heart goes out to both Israelis and Palestinians, and I pray, pray for the peace of Jerusalem and ALL her inhabitants.

Jesus, as you wept for Jerusalem so long ago, tears still pour today. Implant in us the Way of your peace, which cannot be real until there is justice. Begin by helping me be a person of peace, and then my children, and then all whose lives we touch and then...
Amen.


9 July Saturday proper 9

No comments:

Post a Comment