Wednesday 6 July 2011

"Better Angels of our nature" *


(* a term used by Lincoln, referring to that which helps us choose reconciliation over stubborn pride, I think)

I Samuel 14:36-45
King Saul’s son Jonathan disobeyed an edict he had declared. The penalty was death. But Jonathan had not even been aware of the edict when he disobeyed it. And as it happened, Saul’s edict was actually harmful for the people. The people pleaded Jonathan’s case, and he was not killed for his disobedience.

What a loaded story! How many times over the years have I laid down the law – and was really out of line?
I try to make decisions after careful analysis of the situation and prayer, but sometimes I get it wrong.
It’s hard to admit we are wrong, especially when, by virtue of our role as leader or parent, we are the ones who are supposed to know better.

As much as it hurt my pride, I’m thankful for the people who’ve had the courage to challenge me to change my mind. Those people appeared like angels, messengers, just in time to stop me from following through on a decision that really wasn’t the best for all concerned.

As my children leave the nest I find myself reviewing the times I got it wrong with them. Yet, through the grace of God, and better angels of our nature, they seem to have turned out fine in spite of my erroneous edicts.

God, help me to pray more and listen more for your wisdom before I act.
When I do make wrong choices, help me to admit my mistakes.
And thank you, God, for courageous and forgiving friends. Bless them, as they have been a blessing to me.

(proper 9, Sunday, 3 July)

No comments:

Post a Comment