Friday 8 July 2011

"She is not here"


Luke 23:56b-24:11
The women enter Jesus’ tomb and see two men in dazzling clothes who ask “Why do you look for the living among the dead.”

When my daughter left for college, I found myself walking into her room for no particular purpose. I would just stand there -- in her space. Of course it would be better termed 'the remnant of her space.' She had chosen to take what was most important with her to school. I was there with the left-overs.

Of course this was not exactly the same as the women in the tomb!
But still, the question of the angels might have been asked.
Why are you looking here?
She has gone to a new and greater life.
She will never be the same.
I, and my relationship with her, will never be the same.

It took some getting used to. It still, nearly two years later, takes getting used to.

She and I have a new relationship. In some ways we get along more now than we did then! And I am continually impressed with her, and the accomplished young woman she is.

Now I am getting ready for my son to also leave.
It won't be just his room that will be left empty of children -- it will be the whole house.
The cats and I will have a lot more to get used to, no doubt about that!

Lord God, I give thanks for the new rooms my children are going to.
Help me to see the empty rooms as a sign of joyful new life. Guide me, and them, as we come to know one another in a different, but still good way,as they no longer live in my home.


5 July Tuesday in week of Proper 9

No comments:

Post a Comment