Tuesday 16 August 2011

Something parents know


5 August Friday proper 13 sorry I am posting all out of order of the readings!

As punishment for stealing Uriah's wife and having Uriah killed, David is told that the child he and Bathsheba are expecting will die. 2 Samuel 12:1-14

It seems this story comes up frequently, and the question is always raised "Why is God punishing the innocent child instead of guilty David?"

My child's recent hospitalization has reminded me. I wish that I could be the one who suffers instead of her. This has been the case since before my first child was born.

The worst punishment I could experience is not my own pain, but my inability to keep my children from suffering.

As one who believes in the resurrection, I am sure that death is not the worst thing that can happen. In having to watch his child suffer and die, yes, David was truly more punished!

God, protect my children, and keep them from harm!
Help me to entrust their care to you with faith and confidence. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment