Wednesday 10 August 2011

A most productive day: I successfully sowed the hole in my boxers... nevermind working on the two papers i have due next week *


18 July Monday proper 11

Mark 4:1-20
Jesus tells the parable of the sower, whose seed fell on various kinds of soil, some of which died and some of which produced miraculous growth.


Of course this parable is about the Word of God and the spread of the kingdom.
But looking at it as I reflect on the emptying nest, it is easy to reapply it to parenting. During the 'growing up' years we plant the seeds, by our words, actions and most of all examples.

Now we see what has truly taken root, as their growth is largely beyond our control. Already, of course, I see how my children appear to be flourishing. Just how great the yield will be, I now wait to see.

I suppose situations like my daughter's sickness far from home are like the farmer trying to tend to the plant when external factors beyond the farmer's control, like acid rain, are wreaking havoc with what should be healthy growth. There is only so much I can do, and then trust that she is strong and solidly planted, and remain confident that God is with her.

We plow the fields and scatter the good seed in the land
But it is fed and watered by God's almighty hand.
We thank you then, O Father for all things bright and good,
The seed-time and the harvest, our life, our health, our food. Amen.




*my daughter's last FB status before going in hospital - yes, she quickly realized it was sewed, but sowed works for this blog topic!

No comments:

Post a Comment